Welcome to donduk. A refuge for those who enjoy Deal or No Deal, the hit Channel 4 gameshow hosted by Noel Edmonds. The award winning gameshow Deal or No Deal has become a big hit for Channel 4 and marks a sensational return to our screens of Noel Edmonds.

Deal or No Deal is enjoyed my millions of viewers daily, where the contestants battle with The Banker to try and win a jackpot of £250,000. Here at donduk you will find full daily reports of each show, as well Deal or No Deal news and specials. Deal or No Deal although initially appearing very simple in format of just opening a few boxes for the chance to win some big money prizes, actually has some potentially complex decisions to be made at points throughout the show, the contestants occasionally try complex or simple gameplay in an attempt to give them an edge in beating the Banker.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Richard Young's first post

Only found the blog today, but couldn't resist joining in. Why? Well, like many people who watch the show, I'm still not sure why I do. And that alone makes it something worth discussing.

For my opening post? I little discussion of viewing methodology.

If, like me, you're not home at 4.15pm, you might try our method for watching the show. We have a Freeview PVR. It's like SkyPlus: programmes are recorded onto a hard-drive which allows you to flick between shows you've recorded and (this is the useful bit) fast-forward recordings at different rates. You can blitz though the ads in a quite controlled way in about four seconds - and, on DOND, skip quickly through the worst of Noel's cheesiness [steady now, we like Noel on this blog - ICIFM]; the introduction to the player's various lucky charms and family snaps; and perhaps the first two rounds. We reckon on getting a DOND done in about 15 or 20 mins, sacrificing very little of the late-game tension.

The one thing you do lose is learning the personalities of the box-openers. Some, like Lucy, stick around long enough and have enough late-round openings (so to speak) to create a "brand" even with the truncated viewing approach. But we've had a couple of shows where we've wondered who the hell was playing.

Oh, one other point - a question. Is it just me, or do the most vocal box-openers seem to do that much worse than the slightly anonymous players when they get to the hot-seat? Geordie springs to mind, obviously, but we've noticed other players who often offer seemingly intelligent advice ("seemingly" because usually they betray a very shaky grasp of probability and risk) get to the stage and blow it... Comments?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch every day necessarily, but there's a useful website called uknova that may or may not sometimes have certain episodoes available for download. I'm generally at work when the saturday episode airs, and if we assume Lucy's episode will be a saturday I'm sure I'll be downloading that :)

qbie said...

uknova really is a lifesaver, as I can sometimes work up to 8pm (Retail sucks!), it gives me a chance to watch the episodes I miss. I'm backing them all up to DVD-R so I can relive all those heart-wrenching "You'll be back after the break" moments.

I'm sure Lucy's show will be the most downloaded. Or maybe the least downloaded. Or maybe the same as all the others.

Anonymous said...

Message from Geordie

As the owner of the lowest ever deal record (probably for all time)
thanks to playing the Game after 32 hours without sleep - I dont think I am the best example of the pros and cons of giving advice.

My Game and the state that i was in will hopefully be unique in DOND history. Nobody should play when they are clearly unfit to do so. I proved it just makes poor TV.

With regard to preparation - ie knowing the odds - i would advise every player to learn these.

When i was presented with my highest offer £5000 - I was able to quickly no deal because I knew that I had 55 chances of something good happening because when there are 8 boxes left there are only possible 56 combinations of 3 selections.

Sadly for me - the 1 chance in 56 came up. As I said at the time - it wasnt my day

GEORDIE